We are delighted you are considering baptizing your child at Holy Name. We hope this will be the first of many sacraments received here by your child.
We celebrate Baptisms for children under 7 years. Children ages 7 and older are invited to prepare for and celebrate the Sacrament of Baptism through our Faith Formation program. If you're an unbaptized adult, please ask about our RCIA program.
WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO HAVE MY CHILD BAPTIZED?
Before we can schedule a date for your child to be baptized, we need to gather some documents and complete some required paperwork.
1) We will need a copy of the child’s official Birth Certificate
2) We ask both parents to attend a Baptismal class. Baptismal classes are offered throughout the year. We will provide you with the next available date as space allows.
3) As parents, it is your responsibility to select the Godparents. We recommend you choose two (2) godparents for your child –Please provide us with the Name, Address, Phone Number and Church of each Godparent. (Please also see the requirements for Godparents for more information.)
4) If you are not already registered in the Parish, we strongly recommend you register in the Parish as soon as possible so you can ensure your child continues her faith journey.
5) Complete the Baptism Registration Form and submit to the office.
The role of the godparent is to be a Christian role model for the child. He or she should be a mature Christian who will establish a lifelong faith relationship and will be willing to walk with the child on his or her faith journey.
In order to be a Godparent, a person must meet the following requirements:
- Godparents cannot be the parents of the child
- Godparents must be Baptized
- Godparents must have received First Communion
- Godparents must be Confirmed
- Godparents must be over the age of 16
- Godparents must be practicing Catholics
- Godparents must profess and believe what the Catholic Church teaches
- Godparents must be registered in a Catholic Church. If not registered at Holy Name, we need a certificate from the Church where you are registered saying you are eligible to be a Godparent.
- Godparents are required to attend a Baptismal class, preferably at Holy Name. If unable to attend the one at Holy Name, please provide proof of attendance at another class, prior to the date of Baptism.
Baptisms are celebrated at Holy Name of Jesus Church twice a month, usually on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of the month. Once we have all the required documents and paperwork, we will schedule you for your class and your Baptism. We look forward to welcoming you and your child into our family here at Holy Name of Jesus Church.
What if I am a single parent? Both parents are encouraged to attend the Baptismal classes however, only the primary custodian need attend.
What if I am the legal guardian and not the parent on the birth certificate, can I still baptize the child? Yes. Please provide us with your legal guardianship papers prior to scheduling the Baptism for review,
Can I baptize my child here if I am coming from another parish or out of state? Yes. We need a letter from your parish allowing us to baptize the child and also indicating you have taken the necessary preparation classes.
What if I can’t find two (2) Catholic Godparents? Please contact us to help you resolve this.
What if I already took the Baptismal classes, do I need to take them again? If you took the Baptismal class with Holy Name of Jesus within the last three (3) years, there is no need to retake the class. If you have taken a Baptismal class within the last three (3) years at another location, there is no need to retake the class, but please bring us the appropriate documentation.